Saturday, May 21, 2011

Keeping the spice (co-sleeping)

How in the world do you keep  the bed rocking with your child sleeping in the bed with you??? That is the million dollar question I get all the time. Yes we are co-sleepers! All of my children have slept in the bed with us, and seeing as though we have had six children, our bed must still be rocking. Well maybe not our beds exactly! Let me start by answering the question of why we co-sleep. Besides the pure fact of convience and making my life easier, I really believe that it builds a secure attachment between the infant and the parents. Now I have no idea if there is any solid research to prove one way or the other, this is just my personal opinion. How is conveient? Well I breastfeed, and when my babies want to eat every two hours in the middle of the night, I simply roll over pop a breast in their mouth and back off to sleep I go! I usually don't start doing this until they are little older. However even when I get up, and sit up to feed them, it is much easier to just pick them up, prop a pillow behind my head and fall back asleep, ok maybe not I was to busy admiring my beautiful babies! But I still didn't have to climb up my stairs to feed them. Soooo co-sleeping is convient. Now my theories on attachment. I feel that for nine months your baby was in your womb, they heard your heart beat, your breathes, your voice. They were warm, cozy, and secure right next to you. That was their world entire little lives. Then suddenly they are forced into this big, bright, loud world. One that is totally new for them, this has to be scary! No wonder they cry. They have no idea where they are, it's cold, it's bright, it's loud, they can't hear their mommies heart beat. WTH!!! That's probably what they are thinking. So to go through such a traumatic experience and then be put into a crib, that is cold, dark, and lonely wow, this is a cruel place they are probably thinking. Then they wake up at night hungry, in the dark, and alone! Ok I know I am probably making this sound waayyy dramatic, but hey this is my PERSONAL opinion. This sounds very sad to me. So I like for my babies to sleep next to me, where it is still warm, cozy, and they can still hear my breathing. I like the idea that when they woke up at night, mommy was right there.  I don't want anyone to think, I am saying putting your baby in a crib makes you a bad parent, these are just my personal views and thoughts.

Sooo now that, the whys are answered, let's talk about the how! So how do we keep the spice? It's called creativity, thinking outside the box. Our entire home becomes our love shack! You can't be a traditional type of person, in this situation. There are times we have went into our closet, our bathroom, the shower, and let's not forget about the guest bedroom! Believe it or not this type of creativity actually improves your marriage it gets you out of the grind of the same old thing. You have to become spontaneous when you co sleep. When our baby is sleeping we take advantage of it! Nap time becomes quickie time! That's right I said quickie! You get it in quick before the baby wakes up. Co sleeping won't last forever there will come a time when your child will not won't to sleep with you, and then you can go back to your regular sex in the bed routine, but until that time comes, make it fun, exciting, and an adventure. Think about when you first got married before you had kids, and that is the type of spark you can ignite when you co sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment